Sunday, April 5, 2015

Tri-Color Herons

Today I took my camera on a biking photoshoot around Verandah to photograph birds. I came across this tri-colored heron in the pickerel weed over near the golf house. Notice the bright red eyes, turquoise beak, and white tuft- a beautiful bird! At one point it dove into the mud, picked up a snail, and flew toward me just in time to capture it in flight as it was just landing with the snail in its beak!

The tri-colored herons (Egretta tricolor) are much smaller than the great blues. I think the white head plume on this one is indicative of mating season. I can distinguish them from other adult herons by the white line along the front of their neck. I've seen quite a few of them around Verandah, especially among the pickerel weed.



No comments:

Post a Comment