Saturday, May 30, 2020

Teeny Tiny Greenhouse Frog



I found this tiny frog in a crevice along the rim of my pool. It was the tiniest frog I have ever seen. Furthermore, I started to see several of these in my pool. Photographing one, using my finger for scale, was a bit tricky as they are so fragile and not inclined to stay still for photo.

I searched amphibian web sites and think I have identified it as a greenhouse frog, based on its mottled bronze and brown markings. It is a nonnative species from the Caribbean, probably came here from Cuba, that is common throughout Florida.

The eggs are laid in the damp earth and they are apparently common in garden lanais. What is interesting is that it skips the aquatic tadpole stage after hatching from the egg. The tadpole fully forms inside the egg and when the egg hatches, the tiny froglet emerges.

After photographing it, I released it into the plants along my lanai. Unfortunately it will probably become food for the anoles that live there.

No comments:

Post a Comment